John J. Ruschmeyer
11/30/1922 - 3/27/2012
PEKIN ~ John J. Ruschmeyer, 89, of Pekin, passed away at 5:15 p.m., Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at Autumn Accolade in rural Green Valley.
Born November 30, 1922 in Boone, Iowa to John D. and Carrie Faye (Rose) Ruschmeyer, he married Shirley E. Meredith on September 27, 1947 in Springfield, Illinois. She preceded him in death on October 11, 2001, along with 5 brothers, and 1 sister.
Surviving are 3 sons, Frederick (Shari) Ruschmeyer of Salem, Kentucky, Thomas (Karen) Ruschmeyer of Pekin, and Scott Ruschmeyer of Bartonville.
7 grandchildren, Nicole, Tyler and Kyle (Joy) Ruschmeyer , Megan, Patrick , Amy and Anderson Ruschmeyer; and 1 great-grand son, Owen Ruschmeyer.
He had worked for the C&IM Railroad and later worked as a millwright out of Carpenters Local 644 in Pekin, retiring in 1986. He had last worked in maintenance for the Pekin Park District, retiring in 2003
He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II, serving as a radioman first class.
John was a member of First United Methodist Church in Pekin and a former member of St. John’s Lutheran Church in Pekin.
He was an avid Illini fan and a die hard Chicago Cubs fan.
A graveside service will be at 10 a.m. Saturday, March 31, 2012 at Glendale Memorial Gardens in Pekin. Rev. Judy Doyle will officiate. Preston-Hanley Funeral Homes & Crematory is in charge of arrangements.
Memorial contributions may be made to First United Methodist Church, 1315 Court St., Pekin, IL 61554.
To express condolences online, visit www.preston-hanley.com
- Leta Taylor - Caregiver at Autumn Accolade
- Diane and Debbie Ruschmeyer - nieces
- Carrie Stone - former co-worker of Karen
- Jerry and Julie Myers -
- Barb Jones - caregiver Autumn Accolade
- Chris Mullis - Co-worker of Karen
- Pam Wibben - friend
- Cathy Tarpley - Care Provider
- Carla Jackson - Former co-worker
- KATHY VANHORN - FRIEND
- Leslie Fahnders - friend
- Mark VonDerHeide - Friend
- Sharon & Howard McMillan - Friends
- Deb Penn - Friend
- Mike Wrhel - Friend
- Don Brent - Friend
- Jeanie Ackerman - Acquaintance
- Randy & Becky Dixon - Friend
- Bethany Leeman - Caregiver at Autumn Accolade
- Karen Garbers - Autumn Accolade Caregiver
- Kim Creech -
- Jim Ruschmeyer - Nephew