Jo Ann Scott
4/16/1955 - 9/22/2017
Jo Ann Scott, 62, of Pekin went to her heavenly home at 3:05 a.m. Friday, September 22, 2017 after a long and courageous battle with cancer. With her husband by her side, she left this world the same way she lived her life, with grace and dignity.
Jo Ann’s journey began on April 16, 1955 in Pekin with her loving parents, Max and Mary Margaret (Schimmelpfennig) Wade.
Jo Ann met the love of her life in high school. She married her love, Phillip Dale Scott, on November 7, 1975 in Pekin. They grew their family many years later with the addition of their daughter Erin (Bruce) Killen.
When she married Phillip she became another daughter to LD and Irene Scott and gained not only a husband but four sisters & friends. They include Sue (Jim) Fletcher, Debbie (Randy) Benton, Donna (Bob) Reiling, and Karen (Chris) Lewis all of Pekin. Along with them came several nieces and nephews and over time even more great nieces and nephews. All of whom she loved as her own. She was their aunt, their confidant, and their friend. Jo Ann is also survived by her uncle Robert (Darlene) Schimmelpfennig, her aunts; Mabel Look and Betty (Dean) Allen; her step-sister, Dawn Dunkin and several cousins.
Jo Ann was preceded in death by her father, her step-father, Frank Andrews; two step-sisters; Erin Andrews and Tara Andrews; her uncle, Ed Schimmelpfennig; her aunts: Ann Richmond and Tresa “Jackie” Buff, and her nephew, Brandon Newcomb.
Jo Ann had a progressive 32-year career in the telecommunications industry. Serving as the Director of Customer Care for the state of Illinois for Sprint/Gallatin River Communications and retiring as the Sales Manager for Century Link. After retiring from Century Link, Jo Ann enjoyed working at Bergner’s, where she managed the home goods department.
Jo Ann served on the United Way Board of Pekin and the Tazewell County Resource Center, Inc. Board of Directors. She also chaired the Centel / Sprint / Gallatin River Toys for Tots for many years. She was a member of the Speaker’s Bureau, Pekin District, and earned the honor of Speaker of the Year award for Centel.
Her happy places were Walt Disney World, the beach or on a Harley. Either riding behind Phillip or riding her own. Jo Ann loved hosting her big family for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. She was an avid reader and collector of Hallmark Ornaments. She enjoyed antique road trips and finding furniture for her husband, Phillip, to refinish. Her passion was her extended family.
She was a member of Grace Baptist Church in Pekin.
Her funeral will be at 10 a.m. Saturday, September 30, 2017 at Preston-Hanley Funeral Home & Crematory in Pekin. Pastor Randy Justus will officiate. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday at the funeral home. Burial will be at Glendale Memorial Gardens in Pekin.
Memorial contributions may be made to Grace Baptist Church, 1301 South 14th Street, Pekin Il 61554.
To express condolences online, visit www.preston-hanley.com.
- Jo Squire - Friend at Bergners
- Garry Renae Barker - Friend
- Robert Harvey -
- DOUG & NONIE SINDLE - FAMILY FRIEND
- sue taylor - former class mate
- Diane and Larry Coggins - Friends of family
- Vicki Swoik - Friend
- Georgia Brown - Friend
- Val Bohlander - Friend
- Joyce Pratt - Friend
- Jody Weibring - Friend
- Sharon and Ed Freidinger - Friends of family
- Nikki Cambron - Friend
- Kathy VanHorn -
- Daryl & Shelly Landis - Family Friends
- Bill & Sue Calvert - Friends of family
- Melinda Ford - friend
- Joe & Michelle Daniels - Friend
- DeVora Arnett - Co worker and friend pho co.
- Sue (Burson) Vansaghi - Friend
- Megan Thompson - Friend of the family
- Dee Harms - Friend
- Rex & Wilanna Thorpe - Friends
- Kyndall Zander - Friend/Coworker
- Jake and Tammie Fletcher - Family
- Ron and Carol Barger - FRIENDS
- Gary & Sue Raper - Family
- Julie Lambert - Friend
- Harvey & Judy Houston - Friend
- Bev Martin - Friend/Coworker
- Harry & Mary Martin - Friend/Coworker
- Deb McKay Brown - friend
- Bob and Ruthanne Scott - Friend
- Micki OConnor - Friend/Coworker
- JIMMY RENDER - AUNT
- JIMMY RENDER - AUNT
- Donna Johns - FriendBed
- Debbie Dacey - Friend
- Leslie Nell - Friend
- Leslie Nell - Friend
- Marilyn Brecher - Friend & Coworker
- Audri Hill - Friend
- Jackson's Former So. 3rd Street - Former neighbor
- Bobbi Prather - Friend
- Carol Helm - friend
- Wynete Tyree - Friend
- Patty (weast) Nieukirk - Friend
- Kathy Richardson - friend
- Richelle Bengert - Coworker-Bergners