Jon Gregory Oakley, M.D.
8/26/1955 - 12/20/2017
PEKIN ~ Jon Gregory Oakley, M.D., 62, of Jackson, Tennessee, passed away peacefully at 1:15 a.m. Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at his home, from complications resulting from a long fought battle with cancer. He was formerly of Pekin.
Born August 26, 1955 in Monmouth to F.M. and Aletha W. (Baker) Oakley, he married Carol (Swadinsky) Johnson on October 10, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada. She survives.
Also surviving are his parents of Pekin; three children, Kurtis Viktor of Denver, Colorado, Jennifer Oakley of Peoria, and Blayze Oakley of Pekin; one brother, Jeffrey (Chris) Oakley of Pekin; and one sister, Sheera DeGroot of Pekin; and a nephew and several nieces.
A 1973 graduate of Pekin Community High School, he attended Illinois State University in Normal and completed medical school at Southern Illinois University in 1993. Dr. Oakley graduated with Institutional Honors and was a member of the National Medical Honor Society.
He completed his Residency Program in Emergency Medicine at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center in Peoria, where he served as Chief Resident from 1995 -96. Dr. Oakley later served for many years as Medical Director of Emergency Services at Pekin Hospital.
From a young age, Dr. Oakley developed a love for music and was an accomplished pianist, violinist and guitarist.
His funeral will be at 11 a.m. Saturday, December 23, 2017 at Liberty Baptist Church in Pekin. Pastor Roger Lipe will officiate. Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Preston-Hanley Funeral Homes & Crematory in Pekin. Burial will be at Glendale Memorial Gardens in Pekin.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Dr. Greg Oakley Music Scholarship Fund in care of Preston-Hanley Funeral Homes & Crematory, 500 North 4th Street, Pekin, IL 61554. This fund will assist students at Pekin Public Schools District #108 with instruments to begin their love of music, just as Greg.
To express condolences online, visit www.preston-hanley.com
- Mary Eubanks -
- Penny Perino Stoehr -
- Willis Carter - Longtime family friend
- Thomas Walker - School Mate
- Nic Maquet -
- Ed & Aimee Tarpley - Friend of family
- Donn West - Grew up together
- Paul & Linda Robertson - friend
- Jan Bohm - Former neighbor
- Deb Ewing (Loy) Straker - Friend
- Mary and James Harrison -
- Rita Klundt - friend
- Michael West - Friend of family
- Elizabeth Adkison - coworker
- Donna Rabus (Christopher) - Former student of Mr. Oakley
- Sinia & kenny Jones - Friends fro liberty baptist church
- Debi Yandell - Coworker
- Jill Jones - Former co-worker
- Leigh Henson - PCHS friend
- Jim and Kathy Burdette -
- David Leader - Emergency Medicine Resident co-worker
- Michael Bingham - Coworker
- Garry Slabaugh - friend/coworker
- Phyllis Kincaid - Friend of Aletha Red
- Iva Lutke-Marxen - Friend
- Paul Checchia - Med school classmate
- Roger England - Friend