John R. Thomas
4/6/1953 - 1/24/2018
WASHINGTON ~ John Robert "Buck" Thomas, 64, of Washington, passed away at 8:15 p.m. Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at his home.
Born April 6, 1953 in Peoria to Robert and Lois (Schneider) Thomas, he married Sheryl Knight on June 9, 1979 in Peoria. She survives.
Also surviving are two daughters, Jennifer (Chris) Roberts of Washington and Laurie Thomas of Miami, Florida; three grandchildren, Parker, Grant and Rachel Roberts all of Washington; one brother, David (Wanda) Thomas of Ft. Myers, Florida; and one sister, Trudi (Joe) Cummings of Pekin.
He was preceded in death by his parents.
John was a member of the Highview Church of God in Washington.
He had worked as a financial advisor his entire career. He had worked for Merrill Lynch, A.G. Edwards, AIG, and lastly for John Graham and Associates.
John "Buck" Thomas loved life to the fullest. He was a founding member of the Independent Sports Club, a regular blood donor, and a former member of the Washington Library board. John loved being active and spending time with his family and friends. He loved all sports. Whether playing, coaching, or watching. Buck was "all in" for his teams, especially his beloved Chicago Cubs.
John will probably be most remembered for his charismatic personality, unbelievable story telling skills, his debating skills, and his ability to find humor in almost any situation. Most importantly, he was "Family first".
His funeral will be at 11 a.m. Tuesday at Preston-Hanley Funeral Homes & Crematory in Pekin. Pastor John Plunkett will officiate. Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Monday at the funeral home. Burial will be in Glendale Memorial Gardens in Pekin.
Memorial contributions may be given to the American Red Cross at 405 W. John H. Gwynn, Jr. Ave. Peoria, IL 61605.
- Kris Curto - friend
- Roger Prouty - friend
- Chris Hayes Solomon - Friend
- Rosie Tebben - Friend
- Tera Schmidt - Friend
- Pat Schmillen - Friend
- Terry Elmore - friend
- Julie Hamilton -
- Paula Henninger - Friend/Classmate
- jay badorek - cousin
- Susan Wallace - Classmate
- Sue Schmidt Munge - friend
- Donn West - Classmate and friend
- Rick Weber - friend
- Beryl Hein - Friend
- Marilyn Durbin - Friend
- Merry and Don Willock - Friend of Trudi
- Janet Borton -
- JOHN FRANKS - friend
- Mike Bond - Friends
- Jacqueline Horn -
- Pekin High School Class of 1971 - Classmates
- Dennis Price - Friend classmate teammate
- Al Massie - Friend
- Debbie Higgins - high school classmate and friend
- Cindy Humphrey - Friend from circle k
- Larry Hight - friend, classmate & teammate
- RANDY CLARK -
- Jeanette and Bruce Ashley -
- Cheryl waldmeier-williams - friend and classmate
- Randy Dixon - Friend
- Mo Fitzgibbon -Walker - Friend
- Linda Klein - friend
- Carol McGrath - Classmate/Friend
- Dave Stein - Softball buddy